Friday, September 11, 2009

Singing and the Rain

Today in New York City, it rained. Now this is not newsworthy in itself but it does play an important role in my day. Let's start from the very beginning.

This morning, I made a poor shoe choice. The misstep really stems from Labor Day when I ignored my impulse to purchase rainboots at DSW. Still, I wore little flats to work today. And I brought Samson to work, which means the Show Pup and I walked in the rain from Grand Central to Times Square. We were both a little wet, but it was still manageable.

Then from 12:10-12:25, before the start of today's tech rehearsal, the cast of Memphis had a music rehearsal with the orchestra for their Broadway on Broadway performance this Sunday in Times Square. The rehearsal was at Carroll Music Studios on 55th Street and 12th Ave. We took a cab there so this was good for the shoes.

This rehearsal was very cool not only because we got to hear the song "Memphis Lives in Me" performed with the full orchestrations, but because it was like a revolving door of Broadway shows. As we were walking in, the Bye Bye Birdie cast was coming out. Alex Lacamoire, the Tony-winning orchestrator of In the Heights was conducting, and as we were leaving, Sutton Foster, Daniel Breaker and the cast of Shrek were coming in. It was a pretty awesome 3o minutes. I really had to concentrate on not totally geeking out over the coolness of it all.

But the coolness was quickly over and it was time to go. And when you are on 55th and 12th Ave and its pouring out, there are no cabs to be had. So we walked all the way to 43rd and 8th which essentially meant that I was soaking wet from the knees down.

And that is why I was then forced to pull a Britney.

Yes, I went into a public bathroom barefoot. Try not to judge. And it wasn't exactly a public restroom as much as it was the bathroom at the end of our hallway, but still, I felt a little too close to Brit Brit.

Speaking of toxic, next Monday, Joe DiPireto (book and lyrics) and David Bryan (composer) have invited the cast of Memphis to see their other show, The Toxic Avenger, which is currently playing Off-Broadway at New World Stages. Toxic is ridiculously funny and just when you think there is no way they are going to go there, they do. I think Monday is going to be a blast and I am super pumped to see Toxic again.

And it better stop raining soon.

1. Because I do not have the proper footwear, and

2. Because we are giving out fans at Broadway on Broadway and rain would make that difficult. Handing out fans in the rain, to quote Memphis, would be "downright foolish. Dangerous even."

Sunshine equals fans and fans equal happiness.

Like these ladies.
The one with the fan is clearly happier than the one without the fan.


Don't be the lady without the fan.