Sunday, September 20, 2009

Holy Run Through Batman!

I'm not sure what I expected to happen tonight.
I expected to be entertained, but I was rocked.

Having only caught glimpses of the show during tech, to see it play out in front of me, with a full band, fully lit, fully staged, fully costumed=fully blown away.

How could I not be with Danny Tidwell doing things like this?

Photo by Chris Owyoung www.onelouderphoto.com
I know what it is like to have expectations be built up and get to a show and have it not deliver. So I am not going to use the blog (much) to tout the fierceness, or rattle on about performances that break my heart a little each time.

It's time I encourage people to embrace the idea of not knowing a lot about this show.

Forget about not having the recording (yet) and knowing every word to every song before you walk in the theater doors.

Stop reading this blog if you have to (not really) and embrace the surprise.

There was a time you wen to the theater just because.
Not because it proved you were able to get a ticket, or saw this person in that show.

Take a friend. Buy a student rush ticket (or a full price one). I want you to love it, but I won't have my feelings hurt if you don't (well, maybe just a little).

But now is the time that you can have an impact on musical theater by going to the show during previews. The creatives and producers are all around: seeing what lands, what doesn't, what's clear, what needs clarification.

If/when you go, email me your thoughts.

Post them on our Facebook page.

Heck, if you can keep it under 140 characters, tweet it.
(in my mind, I heard "Just Tweet It" to the same tune of Michael Jackson's "Just Beat It.")

Memphis Blog Shout Out: Thanks to all who tweeted us during the Broadway League Tweet-Up today!

Oh, and if you leave the theater and feel like I did tonight, feel free to shout it from the rooftops.