Monday, September 7, 2009

Before the Parade Passes By, or last chance for Summer

Happy Labor Day to All!

Growing up in California, Labor Day was never really a big deal; just another nice day that you may or may not take advantage of. In New York City, Labor Day has this crazy, frenetic feel to it; New Yorkers all over the city are savoring their last chance to get out and go somewhere, before summer passes by.

I thought I would conduct a quick sample survey to see how the various members of the Memphis team are enjoying this Labor Day Day Off before technical rehearsals begin tomorrow.

"I am in Vermont with my family. I spent the afternoon with my two granddaughters at the Fair in Guildford. We ate some hotdogs, drank fresh squeezed lemonade, saw lots of 4-H kids with their cows and chickens, played some games on the midway, rode some rides and heard some folk music. It was glorious."

- Cass, Actor

"I am spending my day off in the country (last chance I'll have to come here for the next few weeks, methinks) doing some rewriting based on what we learned after our run-through on Saturday.

Besides some minor dialogue tweaks, I'm especially trying to give the song "Stand Up" a more exciting through-line, so Felicia's entrance at the song's end has a dramatic punch as exciting as its musical and choreographic punch.

I'm also spending quality time with my dog who I've guiltily neglected these past few days as we hit the final surge of run-throughs. Right now, he's lying on my feet napping. And tonight he's getting a grilled turkey burger.

- Joe (Book & Lyrics)

"I practiced yoga this afternoon and am going to Birdland for the NAMT (National Alliance for Musical Theatre) concert with Randy (Producer) this evening."

-Nick (Memphis Producer)

"Let's see: I slept in! (first time in a month or two) Then I made coffee and got my daily fix of mafia wars on Facebook. While enjoying that vice, I turned on the TV to realize my next vice was being taken care of; the Hallmark Channel was having a Golden Girls marathon! Sadly though, I had to pull myself away from the tube to come into the office. Tomorrow starts an extremely busy and exciting week for us and I wanted to get a jump start on all the piles of work I have sitting here on my desk. I am sorting through emails from the weekend (we never seem to stop!). So the next three hours or so will be me updating the weekend wrap, adding new crew members (wardrobe, hair & makeup) to payroll and last but not least, tackling those house seat requests! Hockadoo! I did manage to get some sun this weekend in Long Island and had two blissful days of relaxing, knitting, reading and most importantly, enjoying margaritas! Speaking of margaritas, as soon as I can make a significant dent in my work here I am heading to my friend apt in Harlem. She has a backyard and we are going to cook out and indulge in more of those tasty beverages!

-Tegan, Assistant Company Manager

So basically, what I've done for my Labor Day weekend (other than coming into the city to see the run through on Saturday)...drumroll please...Slept in. Went to Rhode Island to visit family and ended up eating the best "chowda" in all of New England (or so my family says)."

-Mattie, Member of Team-tastic

"I am spending my Labor Day having brunch and going to the park. I'm trying to absorb as much sunshine as I can before tech week starts."

- Charlie, Actor

"I'd usually spend Labor Day in my PJs watching a grainy bootleg of the original production of Dreamgirls on YouTube, but I've decided to change things up. This year, I'm going to see the documentary The September Issue with friends and chowing down for dinner at Junior's, in full view of the Memphis marquee. Holla!"

- Nick-tastic, Member of Team-tastic

"Kevin Covert here. Well, after a very disappointing loss from my favorite tennis player, Venus Williams, yesterday I have decided to try and shake it off on this Labor Day. Why u ask?? Well- it is College Football BABY!! It is my Alma Mater's kickoff this evening! Florida State VS Miami!!! I am a Florida State Seminole through and through! (As is Montego Glover- our own Leading Lady!!) So I will spend this Labor Day preparing for football battle!!!"

-Kevin, Actor

Sidenote: As I am posting this, Miami and Florida State are tied 7 to 7 at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. Hope its a good game!

"On this beautiful Labor Day, I'm setting aside a few hours to read in my local park - the commission that maintains it has just renovated the seating area, so I will be finishing my novel on a glossy, newly- painted bench, under a gorgeous tree in Queens. I love reading outside, and with the two-day weekend as part of this holiday, I feel very lucky to have nice weather and a chance to enjoy it.

Part of today, also, will be about preparing for the days and weeks to come in Memphis: I will be reviewing show paperwork, reminding myself of important landmarks coming up (a birthday later in the week, a memo to compose), and allowing myself a few minutes to savor the change of tempo we're approaching.

The last three weeks in the rehearsal studio have had their own cadence of dance rehearsal and review, script changes, quick lunch breaks and callboard chitchat; now we are about to launch into the very different rhythm of technical rehearsal. When they say "hurry up and wait," they are talking about a tech rehearsal: it's all about urgent, focused work, incorporating lights, sound, costumes, scenery and more into the playing business we've been rehearsing with the cast. The hurrying up is usually done by all these departments that have not been at the studio for weeks; the waiting is spread out evenly among everyone, because it's important to let each department have a minute (or several minutes) to make sure they are
ready to move forward safely and efficiently after each pause."

- "Magical" Meg, Memphis PA

I really could not have written a better introduction to technical rehearsals than Meg (which is part of the reason why she has the name "Magical Meg-" things are just better when she is around) so I will leave you with that- and a picture taken from the World Financial Center where I enjoyed a tasty lunch, followed by an unsuccessful trip of shoe shopping at DSW. Double thumbs down for DSW- double thumbs up for the lovely weather.