Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bloody Excited or Hamlet for Huey, Allegedly

Do you ever have one of those days where you are working and working and working and then you finish and aren't quite sure what you've accomplished? Welcome to Week Four of producing a Broadway Show.

The cast made it to the Shubert Theatre today and took the stage for the first official day of Tech. If you have not been a part of tech before, what Meg said yesterday is totally right on; tech has a very different cadence to it than rehearsals. Rehearsals are fast and furious; they are all about discovery and impulses and being in the moment.

Once you move into technical rehearsals, moments become hours of carefully orchestrated lighting, sound and set cues. What is difficult for an actor is you begin some part of the show, and then hear "stop" or "hold" and things are happening all around you, except you are not really sure what is actually going on most of the time. Then you reset and run something again. And then maybe run it again just to make sure.

I tried to get in on the action today but was turned away at the stage door because Samson (Show Pup) was with me and he doesn't have clearance yet. awwww...but I don't cry for me Argentina; on my way to Fed Ex this evening, Samson and I walked by Jude Law who was being very British and drinking pints with his chums. I'm pretty sure I heard him say "I'm bloody excited for this Memphis show I keep hearing about." Though, sometimes with that accent, its hard to be sure...