Thursday, September 10, 2009

Living on a Prayer...and a Diet Coke

Today's blog post is brought to you by Diet Coke. And the Westway Diner on 9th Ave between 43rd and 44th.

Highlights from today:
1. Chatting with David Gallo (set designer) this morning at the Westway diner. He is a fountain of Broadway Fun Facts, which I am so excited to share. As we are in technical rehearsals, I thought it would be fun to hear a little more about his background, how he approaches his work and what makes him tick. He had so many things to share I need a couple days to get that blog posting ready.

2. Watching the afternoon tech session while working with the film crew on capturing our first footage of backstage antics. The Women's Ensemble were crazy funny to interview and I can't wait to see that video. Basically, we handed them the mic and magic happened.

Fun Fact: Broadway dressing rooms are notorious for being small and outdated. People often think that the dressing rooms must be luxurious and glamorous because it's Broadway after all-not the case. I can't wait to show you around the nooks and crannies of the Shubert.

3. Finding myself at the Westway Diner again, this time with my gal pals, Tegan (Associate Company Manager), and Sarah (Associate New Time Productions), for a chat 'n' chew.

4. Watching the evening session of tech-which was purely for my own selfish enjoyment as I contribute nothing to the process at this point. EXCEPT, I was able to rescue my boss, Producer Randy Adams, who found himself locked in the Shubert box office lobby! So I guess I was somewhat helpful.

The Orchestra has become command central. I think Sarah and I counted almost 30 computer monitors throughout the house tonight.


I have no idea what is on this computer. But whatever it is, it is doing its job- the show is looking great so far.


They started the day with "Hello, My Name Is Huey" from Act I. John Jellison waits to get started. Waiting is a common theme during technical rehearsals.


While waiting for some technical cues to resolve themselves, Chris Ashley (Director, in the white shirt) works on the staging with Chad and Michael. Stage Manager, Monica, chats with Kevin Covert in the radio DJ booth. Kevin's character of DJ Buck Wiley may be one of my favorite character parts in the show.


Cary Tedder hanging out during the tech of "That's Not Possible" in Act I. That contraption around his chest, which will be worn under his costume, is how his mic pack stays on his body.

I was in the box office lobby during parts of this number and kept hearing phones ring. I could not believe that so many people had their cell phones on during tech. Turns out, those ringing phones were sound cues. You know, for the phones like the one in Cary's hand. Apparently, I could not put two and two together while taking this photo.

Fun Fact: Several people walked into the Shubert box office this afternoon to buy tickets and could hear the rocking out that was happening inside. Going to the box office of a new musical that is in tech is a great way to get a little aural sneak peak.

Shubert Hot Tip: The first couple of rows of the mezzanine may be the best seats in the house. I typically like sitting in the orchestra for a show, but I love it up in the mezzanine of the Shubert. I'll be checking out the balcony tomorrow...